It’s nearly time to fall forward, don’t you think? Fall is my favorite season here in New England. The temps can be all over the place (yesterday started sticky and humid and then the temp dropped 20 degrees!) but the nights are chilly and the feeling of wanting to pull up the quilts is becoming stronger.
I loved the back to school season, once upon a time.
I remember the thrill of back to school clothes and the smell of new pencils and notebooks so vividly. I also remember that it was often way too hot to wear my new fall clothes – which was always quite a disappointment!
This photo actually looks a little like my brother Don and I, once upon a time. Except I’m pretty sure he didn’t hold my hand when we went to the same elementary school. But he was very blond and I was reddish/blond/brown and wore little outfits just like this. Ah, memories.
And in our homes, even the slightest whiff of a cool breeze makes us want to do a little fall decorating, pull on a cozy sweater and curl up by a fire.
Pro tips for your Fall Decor:
- Warm Color Palette: Emphasize the beauty of fall by incorporating a warm and inviting color palette. Deep oranges, rich reds, earthy browns, and muted yellows can be used in various elements of the decor, such as throw pillows, rugs, drapes, and decorative accents. These colors evoke the feeling of autumn and create a cozy atmosphere.
- Natural Elements: Fall is the perfect time to bring nature indoors. Encourage your readers to use natural elements like pumpkins, gourds, acorns, pinecones, and fall foliage in their decor. These items can be placed in decorative bowls, woven baskets, or even used as centerpieces. Incorporating natural elements adds a rustic charm to any space.
- Layered Textures: Suggest layering different textures to create a sense of warmth and depth in the decor. For instance, mix and match materials like wool, faux fur, velvet, and knits for throws and cushions. Incorporate textured wall art or use textured wallpaper to add visual interest to the space. Texture not only adds elegance but also makes the room feel cozier.
- Candlelight and Scents: Candles are a quintessential fall decor item. Encourage your readers to use scented candles in seasonal fragrances like apple cinnamon, pumpkin spice, or cedarwood. Place them in decorative candle holders or lanterns to create a warm and inviting ambiance. The soft glow of candles also adds a touch of romance to the space.
- Seasonal Art and Wall Decor: Suggest swapping out artwork and wall decor with pieces that reflect the season. Framed autumn-themed prints, botanical illustrations of fall foliage, or rustic wooden signs with autumn quotes can be excellent choices. These items can be rotated seasonally to keep the decor fresh and inspiring.
Bonus Tip: 6. Cozy Throws and Pillows: As the weather gets cooler, encourage your readers to add cozy throws and plush pillows to their seating areas. Opt for warm, autumnal colors and soft, luxurious fabrics like cashmere or faux fur. These not only add comfort but also contribute to the overall fall aesthetic.
We can certainly add a little fall spice to our homes, even if the temps are still on the high side. I’ve gathered some fun items to add a little fall flair to your home. (Note: I will receive a small commission from the sale of any of these items purchased via this post. Thank you!)
Do you do anything to spice up your fall decor? I’d love to hear about it!
You may also enjoy: