I was asked to share my best tip for creating the perfect relaxing bedroom. You can read it at The Mattress Insider along with the wisdom of my other design professionals.
“My best tip for creating the perfect relaxing bedroom is to avoid having a television set or work space in the bedroom. The bedroom should be a place of rest, calm and relationship with partners and family. Televisions and work spaces bring the “real world” into the oasis – and nobody needs that!”
“I’ve dreamed a lot. I’m tired now from dreaming but not tired of dreaming. No one tires of dreaming, because to dream is to forget, and forgetting does not weigh on us, it is a dreamless sleep throughout which we remain awake. In dreams I have achieved everything.”
I truly believe that there doesn’t need to be a tv in a bedroom. We’re already stuck on our phones anyway!
Here are a few of the bedrooms I’ve done over the years.
Top tips for a beautiful bedroom:
- Quality Bedding: Invest in high-quality bedding, including sheets, duvet covers, and pillowcases. Opt for soft and breathable materials like cotton or linen. Consider the thread count for sheets, as a higher count often indicates better quality.
- Comfortable Mattress: The mattress is the foundation of a comfortable bedroom. Choose a mattress that suits your personal preferences in terms of firmness and support. Memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses are popular options that offer a good balance of comfort and support.
- Pillows and Cushions: Select pillows that provide proper support for your neck and head. Consider using a variety of pillows, including standard sleeping pillows, decorative pillows, and cushions for added comfort. Mix textures and sizes for a visually appealing look.
- Soft and Cozy Textiles: Introduce soft and cozy textiles to enhance the comfort of your bedroom. Use plush area rugs, comfortable throw blankets, and curtains with blackout lining for better sleep quality. These elements add warmth and a luxurious feel to the space.
- Thoughtful Lighting: Incorporate a variety of lighting options to create a relaxing atmosphere. Use soft, ambient lighting with bedside lamps, wall sconces, or pendant lights. Consider adding dimmer switches to control the brightness and set the mood.
- Elegant Furniture: Choose bedroom furniture that aligns with your style and complements the overall theme. Look for well-crafted pieces with clean lines and elegant details. Consider a cohesive design for your furniture to create a unified and sophisticated look.
- Harmonious Color Palette: Select a calming and harmonious color palette for the walls, bedding, and decor. Soft, neutral tones or muted pastels often contribute to an elegant and serene atmosphere. Consider accent colors sparingly for a touch of personality.
- Organized and Clutter-Free Space: Keep the bedroom organized and clutter-free. Use storage solutions such as dressers, nightstands, and built-in closets to maintain order. A tidy space not only looks elegant but also promotes relaxation.
- Personalized Decor: Add personal touches to the room with carefully selected decor items. Incorporate artwork, decorative items, or plants that reflect your personality and create a sense of connection with the space.
- Window Treatments: Choose window treatments that allow you to control natural light and add an elegant touch to the room. Consider using blackout curtains for better sleep quality and sheer curtains for a light and airy feel during the day.
“Moments before sleep are when she feels most alive, leaping across fragments of the day, bringing each moment into the bed with her like a child with schoolbooks and pencils. The day seems to have no order until these times, which are like a ledger for her, her body full of stories and situations.”
You may also enjoy:
Please enjoy more photos of my work here.